Video: CO v. COVID: Why carbon monoxide detectors are a must this winterOct 21, 2020 05:05AM ● By Editor
Watch the WDIO-TV Report here
By Baihly Warfield of WDIO-TV - October 20, 2020
When the snow flies, firefighters expect calls to pick up.
Many are for house fires, but they also commonly deal with carbon monoxide calls.
Duluth Deputy Fire Marshal Jon Otis said this year, it's especially important to have a working CO detector.
CO detectors should be replaced every seven years.
Heating-related fires are the third most common cause of fire in Minnesota, behind cooking and open flames.
Otis said if a wood burning stove is involved, usually that's because creosote, a residue, has built up inside the stovepipe.
"In natural gas or propane-burning fires, those are typically caused by gas leaks, that sort of thing," Otis said. "And then with electric, it tends to be having combustibles too close to something, so having an electric space heater, say, next to a couch, next to some drapes."
He also asks people to check their furnace vent, their hot water heater vent, and their chimney to make sure there are no blockages.
Otis also said that Daylight Saving Time, which is Nov. 1, is a great built-in reminder to check the batteries in your smoke detectors. That should be done every six months, and they should be replaced every 10 years.
Of course, if there is any indication of a fire, high CO levels, or other danger, you should evacuate the house and call 911.
To watch the original report and see related stories, follow this link to the WDIO-TV website here. https://www.wdio.com